The first WINNIPEG was an Algerine Class Coastal Escort built under the naval construction programme of 1942-43. She was laid down on 31 January, 1942 in the yards of the Port Arthur Shipbuilding Company and launched on 19 September that same year. Following commissioning into naval service on 29 July, 1943, WINNIPEG sailed for Halifax, NS and then worked-up in Pictou. She then took up escort duties in the North Atlantic with the Western Escort Force. She served there, providing escort for the many valuable merchantmen transporting supplies to Europe, until the disbanding of that force in June of 1945 at war's end.
WINNIPEG was briefly placed in reserve at Sydney, NS before sailing for Esquimalt, BC, in October of that year. Arriving on 21 December, she was de-commissioned and paid off into reserve. In 1956 she was brought to the east coast again and, being surplus to Navy requirements, was handed over to the Belgian Navy on 07 August, 1959 with the new name "A.L. Dufour." She served in the forces of that country until being broken up for scrap in 1966.
Though she served briefly, the first WINNIPEG left a record of valuable action which was carried out in a difficult time; one in which the value of Canada's smaller escorts was inestimable.
She passes on to her successor the Battle Honours:
The second warship to carry the name WINNIPEG was built under the Canadian Patrol Frigate Project of 1983, which was expanded in 1987 to a total of 12 new Canadian designed and built ships. They replaced the same number of aging steam powered destroyers which served in the Navy.
WINNIPEG's keel was laid on 20 March, 1993 in the yards of the Saint John Shipbuilding Company in New Brunswick. During construction, over 33,000 square meters of steel plate and 79.5 kilometers of T-bar and stiffeners were shaped to form 9 "mega-modules" that were then assembled in drydock. She was floated up (the modern equivalent of launching), and then had the remainder of the ship's systems fitted out alongside. WINNIPEG was christened in a traditional ceremony in Saint John on 25 June, 1994.
WINNIPEG first sailed from the builder's yard on 05 September, 1994 for a week of contractor sea trials. On return to Saint John, the final touches were made and she sailed for Halifax, NS arriving on 10 October, 1994. WINNIPEG was officially accepted by the navy on 11 October, 1994, and then manned by her navy crew. After a series of readiness inspections and performance trials, WINNIPEG, sailed from Halifax on 16 January 1995, bound for her new home port of Esquimalt, BC via the Panama Canal. She arrived there on 17 February, 1995 and continued with trials of her major systems. WINNIPEG was commissioned into Her Majesty's service on 23 June, 1995 in a traditional ceremony held in Esquimalt. She now serves proudly as part of Canada's Pacific Fleet.